freckled fashion: No Paillettes, Please.

Monday, 5 August 2013

No Paillettes, Please.


Sunglasses - Forever 21; Top - Auntie-made; Necklace - H&M; Shorts - H&M; Purse - Vintage


Earrings - Forever 21; Ring (left) - Mom's Graduation Ring; Ring (right) - Grandma's Birthstone Ring

Ignore my scraggly dancer feet and look at the shoes. THE SPARKLY SHOES!

It's a rare day when you see me in shorts that are neither loose nor pleated - even rarer when they're low-rise, which today (thankfully) was not the case. I have a love for everything high-waisted, if that's not already obvious. If it's loose, nip it in with a belt. If it's a skirt, always pull it up. If it's pants/shorts, do the same. I think it looks weird and disproportionate-ish if something's sitting on my hips...  Plus, high-waisted things make my legs look even longer. Bonus!

Today it's a combo of Auntie-made + store-bought + vintage, which is basically every outfit I ever wear. Here's the deal: I have a lot of "scrap tops", as we call 'em, that my Aunt makes out of all the fabric scraps that are leftover after one of her projects. Sometimes the tops are short sleeved; sometimes they're cropped like this one. It all depends on what we can get fabric-wise, but they always turn out great. I loved this print so much when I saw it and it's really summery, so evidently I needed a top. White is always great to ward off the heat, and green just makes me think of grass. I love grass. I also love a lot of other things, like wearing 20,000 different shades of metal in one outfit.

My shorts were bought three years ago at H&M as a dance costume for one of my favourite lyrical duets ever. It's always awesome when we get to go shopping for costumes, because you can buy something wearable and useful that isn't covered in paillettes and glitter and made of polyester/spandex, which don't get me wrong I love on some occasions but can get kind of exhausting when you have an entire closet devoted to "vintage" dance costumes. I definitely have a great selection of Halloween attire, but not a lot of things I can wear on a normal everyday basis. Or, on someone else's idea of a daily basis. I went for weeks wearing colourful glitter on my eyes, so I can't really talk.

Let's cut to the chase - Necklace, H&M. It's the most expensive thing I'm wearing. Purse, vintage. $1.50 from the thrift store. Shoes and sunglasses - Forever 21. Typical. (I just have to take a second to gush about how fabulous these shoes are, if you ignore the fact that they gave me horrible blisters. Just look at them! They have sparkly fake diamonds in the heel. Come on. It's seriously fab. Seriously.)

So there you go - my outfit in a very lengthy nutshell. Now please go out and clash some metal and make shirts out of fabric scraps. You won't regret it!

No comments :

Post a Comment